Firmware 2.7 Adds Beefed Up In Game XMB & Browser
An avid GameTrailers forum user says they have a friend at Sony R&D. Lucky for us this friend is a little loose in the lips. Firmware 2.7 will come with an assortment of new enhancements. In-game XMB is now skinned, performs faster and has the browser enabled. Expect some of the look and feel of the PlayStation Store to make it into the XMB. No official word from Sony at this time.
– Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
– Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
– Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.
Gamer Card & Trophies:
– Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.
– Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting “Recent Trophy History” option.
– Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background
– Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.
– Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.
– “Theme settings” options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
– Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
– Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
– Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.
– Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements