Dante’s Inferno Descends into Comic-Con
EA AND DC COMICS ENTER NINE CIRCLES OF HELL WITH DANTE’S INFERNO COMIC
Visceral Games Invades Comic-Con with Special Edition Preview Issue Giveaways, Limited Edition Signings, the World Premiere Trailer for the Starz Media Animated Feature and More
Visceral Games™, a studio of Electronic Arts Inc. today announced a collaboration with DC Comics/WildStorm to develop a comic book mini-series based on Dante’s Inferno™, EA’s video game adaptation of part one of “The Divine Comedy.” The comic will make its world debut at Comic-Con International in San Diego from July 23 – 26. Also at the show, Visceral Games™ and Starz Media will screen the world premiere trailer of the “Dante’s Inferno” animated feature, which will be released on home entertainment platforms day-and-date with the EA game in 2010. These two brand extension projects are based on EA’s adaptation, telling Dante’s epic story from a fresh, contemporary perspective and further exposing the classic to an ever wider pop culture audience.
A special “Issue 0” preview edition of the Dante’s Inferno comic will be given away at Comic-Con International 2009 in San Diego next week July 23rd through July 26th at the EA (Booth #5213) and DC Comics (Booth # 1915) booths. The game will also be featured at the following events during the show:
• “Go to Hell With Dante’s Inferno” Panel – EA, DC/WildStorm and Starz Media present a panel discussion about how each group has translated the various aspects of “The Divine Comedy” into a video game, a comic series, and an animated feature. Find out from the creative minds behind each adaptation, where they were faithful and where they invented and get a peek at EA’s game in development, and be among the first to watch the world premier trailer for the animated feature “Dante’s Inferno” co-produced by EA and Starz Media’s Film Roman animation studio. The panel is at 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM on Thursday, July 23rd in Room 8.
• Dante’s Inferno Comic Preview Issue Signings – Artist Diego Latorre and writer Christos Gage will be at the DC Comics booth signing free copies of the Dante’s Inferno comic preview issue. The signings will take place at 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Friday and Saturday and at Christos Gage will be signing them at the EA booth on Thursday from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM.
• Dante’s Inferno Limited Edition Lithograph Signing – Diego Latorre has created a special, limited edition lithograph exclusively for Comic-Con, with only 750 copies available. He will be signing these copies at the EA Booth. These signings will take place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 AM – 12:00PM.
• Play the Dante’s Inferno Game – One of 2010’s most highly anticipated action-adventure games will be playable for all show attendees at the EA booth during all exhibition hours!
Illustrated by Diego Latorre (The Incredible Hulk) and written by Christos Gage (X-Men/Spider-Man, Wildcats) the Dante’s Inferno six-issue comic miniseries will go on sale beginning in December 2009. Created by Visceral Games, Dante’s Inferno is set in the poem’s vividly imagined nine circles of hell – limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, violence, heresy, fraud and treachery. Players take Dante on an epic descent through hell, battling their way through a terrifying gauntlet of demons to reclaim the soul of his beloved Beatrice. The Dante’s Inferno comic will highlight the action-packed moments in the game, and will also deliver more perspective on Beatrice’s experience, adding more depth to the game’s story and exploring more of the poem’s dramatic depiction of the underworld.
“Dante Alighieri’s ‘The Divine Comedy’ is an incredibly rich piece of source material. It is a literary classic teeming with demons, monsters, danger and doom. It is the perfect backdrop to our action-adventure story, we are extremely excited to be working with great partners like WildStorm and Starz Media to expand the story and deliver our adaptation to other powerful media.”
– Jonathan Knight, executive producer of Dante’s Inferno
“When Christos and I saw the early gameplay demo of the game, our jaws just hit the floor, the nature of this game, as well as the original work, inspired WildStorm to take a unique approach in the creative. Diego Latorre’s art is outstanding and atypical for a game-based comic. EA has really set the bar high, and we strive to achieve or surpass the mark with this book.”
– Hank Kanalz, Vice President and General Manager, WildStorm
EA’s Dante’s Inferno will be in stores in 2010 for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and the PSP® (Sony PlayStation® Portable). The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI. For more information about EA’s Dante’s Inferno, please visit www.dantesinferno.com and follow the Dante’s Inferno team at Visceral Games on Twitter at www.twitter.com/danteteam.