Tomb Raider Reboot Details Emerge from the Depths
Rumors have been circulating that a new Tomb Raider game is in the works for quite a while, especially since the positive release of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Now it looks like someone has let the cat out of the bag, and revealed key details about the new game.
A website has appeared teasing a new game reveal on Game Informer on December 6th. With the title just “A Survivor is Born,” little information is actually announced. It is thought to be a reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise, and the folks over at fourplayercoop have all the details. Crystal Dynamics wasn’t too happy with the reveal and quickly had the information taken down. But the Internet never forgets. Shacknews was able to archive the information and now has gotten it out for us all to gawk.
The Next Tomb Raider Video Game Concept for PS3, Xbox 360 and PCs When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island’s past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limited and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.
- Hunt or be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
- Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive the visceral one-on-one melee combat.
- Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunter’s ultimate weapon, the bow.
- Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.
- Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump. There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
- One Cohesive World: the diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
- Origin Story: This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origin of Lara Croft’s transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island’s mysterious past.
Seems pretty ambitious, but that could be just what we need to reinvigorate the ageing franchise. Tomb Raider fans, what do you think? Does the concept of a reboot interest you, or do you think this is only concentrated at new fans? Be sure to stay tuned to PlayStation LifeStyle this December to find out more.