Gran Turismo Series Hits Impressive Mark
Last month Gran Turismo 5 hit the PS3, and while some critics weren’t favorable of the franchise, it did receive high praises overall. But how big is the game? Sony have given the official word on just how well it has done, as well on just how strong the Gran Turismo series really is.
Today, Sony announced that the Gran Turismo series has shipped over 60 million units worldwide. These figures are from all nine installments including Gran Turismo Concept 2001 TOKYO, as well as Gran Turismo 4 & 5 Prologue and Gran Turismo PSP.
In addition to the 60 million sold to retailers across all games, Sony also announced that Gran Turismo 5 shipped 5.5 million worldwide in just 12 days, selling 2.9 million to consumers. These sales figures should really show that Gran Turismo is still a force in the racing world, and even after a five-year wait it still can hold its own against any other racing franchise.
Here is a breakdown of how well each game sold.
- Gran Turismo: 10.78 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo 2: 9.34 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: 14.80 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo Concept 2001 TOKYO: 1.50 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo 4 Prologue: 1.34 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo 4: 10.86 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: 5.03 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo (PSP): 2.24 million worldwide
- Gran Turismo 5: 5.52 million worldwide
Are you one of the millions of Gran Turismo fans? Let us know in the comments below.