Native YouTube App Coming to Consoles?
While YouTube has been accessible through the PlayStation 3’s own web browser, even through a specifically designed website, the experience is… less than pleasant. That may be getting remedied soon.
YouTube XL is a version of the popular video portal that was specifically designed for the television, mostly accessible through the PS3’s web browser or even the Nintendo Wii’s Internet Channel. The website itself may work well, but it’s the actual channels that seem to hold back the experience. But the folks over at YouTube (actually Google) headquarters may be fixing that, if a recent job posting should be believed. The job responsibilities consist of:
- Build the next generation game-console-based TV experience with You Tube video content.
- Deliver a compelling lean back experience with monetization and e-commerce offerings (ie, pay-per-stream, ads).
- Integrate and optimize with distribution channels and devices including all major game platforms.
- Develop leading edge User Interfaces and delight users with innovative media rich solutions.
If that isn’t enough, take a look at some of the required skills before taking up this particular job offer.
- At least 3 years of professional video game programming experience
- Experience with engine development on at least one major platform
- Deep technical knowledge of Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3 and/or Nintendo Wii
- Credited on at least 1 published video game in a programmer role
With rumors of Google TV on the PlayStation 3, the internet giant seems to be ready to support everyone’s favorite console with unique content that will expand upon the PS3’s, already vast, multimedia capabilities.