SOCOM 4 Beta In Full Swing, First Week of Operations Detailed
SOCOM 4‘s beta program was initially detailed just before GDC. True to their word, the fine folks over at Zipper Interactive has started the first phase of the beta program, and have given some details for what to expect.
Already underway as of yesterday, currently only “eligible players” have been invited for this week. This likely includes those who have logged numerous hours in SOCOM: Confrontation and/or those who are active on the forums. There are two maps being showcased, “Port Authority” and “Assault & Battery.” All fours modes of gameplay are available in these maps:
- Suppression: The SOCOM take on team deathmatch.
- Last Defense: Capture controls points, discover the enemy base and destroy it.
- Uplink: Steal enemy data and deliver it to your base.
- Bomb Squad: Defend your bomb technician while he disarms enemy explosives.
In addition to standard and classic play modes, some days will include certain custom modes that the developer is testing out:
- Sniper Alley: An 8 vs. 8 version of Classic Suppression with higher damage. Weapons are limited to sniper rifles, shotguns, smoke grenades and poison gas.
- Last Defense Run ‘n Gun: Faster movement speed and reduced damage are applied to 16 vs. 16 Last Defense with weapons restricted to only shotguns and SMGs.
- Scrum: Suppression is given rule tweaks of no respawn, faster movement and higher damage, while sniper rifles, frag grenades, concussion grenades and poison gas are disallowed.
- Community Day Classic: A medley featuring Classic versions of all four game types (Suppression, Last Defense, Uplink and Bomb Squad) with increased speed and weapon restrictions placed on ranged explosives. Each game type is played over 11 five-minute rounds.
Finally, a schedule of which of these custom game modes and when they will be played has been detailed:
- Tuesday (3/15) — Suppression and Classic Suppression
- Wednesday (3/16) — Suppression and Classic Suppression
- Thursday (3/17) — Uplink and Classic Uplink
- Friday (3/18) — Last Defense and Classic Last Defense
- Saturday (3/19) — Bomb Squad and Classic Bomb Squad
- Sunday (3/20) — Sniper Alley and Last Defense Run ‘n Gun
- Monday (3/21) — Scrum and Community Day Classic
So, were you invited to the private beta? If so, how active in the SOCOM or possibly MAG community are you? For the rest of us, we may not have to wait too much longer to get into the beta: as detailed earlier, PlayStation Plus members will be able to play beginning on March 22nd, Killzone 3 purchasers will gain access on March 29th, and finally anyone else not in the beta by April 5th will get to join in on the fun for the last week until the game releases on the 13th.
Stay tuned to PlayStation LifeStyle for our impressions on the beta as soon once we have spent a sufficient time shooting the rest of you online!