Mortal Kombat Changes Directly Affect the Competitive Arena
Since Mortal Kombat released about a month ago, many fighting game fans have been torn away from their Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom addictions for the first time in an astral cycle. The latest addition to the most violent video game series in history has hit with authority, and has even been hailed as arguably the best that the Mortal Kombat world has ever seen. While the PSN was down, lots of competitive players honed their skills in anticipation of online returning, and now that it’s finally back to stay, competition has been fierce. But as with any online game, balance is key, and for that Netherrealm Studios has issued some adjustments and changes.
The latest update for Mortal Kombat was made server-side, which means that the below adjustments have been made without you having to downloading anything at all. Pretty cool.
- Reduced some of Kung Lao’s combo and overall damage.
- Reduced the damage on some special moves.
- Increased the damage scaling after Kitana’s Enhanced ground fan toss.
- Adjusted some juggle’s damage scaling.
- Reduced the damage on some basic combos that were doing too much damage without using any meter.
- Increased Sheeva’s damage output for several of her moves and attacks.
- Temporarily Changed around some of Sonya’s fighting style properties to reduce her ability to lock someone down in block stun.
- Changed Kano’s Towards Front Kick to a low block.
- Reduced the recovery on Kano’s Upball to be closer to Johnny Cage’s Flip Kick recovery.
- Increased the damage of some of Baraka’s special moves and attacks.
- It is easier to juggle combo after hitting someone with Baraka’s chopchop on the ground.
- Increased the damage scaling on a frozen opponent.
- Baraka’s Away Front Kick, Front Punch combo is now a true popup.
- Reduced some of Reptile’s combo damage.
If you’re in the competitive arena for Mortal Kombat, then you can instantly tell that these are some big changes that will affect a lot of players on a match-by-match basis. How do you feel about the changes? Do you think they help balance any inconsistencies that were present before they were made? Share your thoughts in the comments below.