PSLS.net Home

Sony Retreats from Questionable PlayStation 4 Comment

June 2, 2011 Written by Max Murray

Last week, some loose lips let slip the word that a PlayStation 3 successor was currently under development. Stating that the future project is “already under way,” Sony’s executive Vice President and CFO, Masaru Kato, stirred up some controversy with his comment that has now warranted a follow up from another Sony source.

Contradictory to the current 10 year lifespan promised by Sony for the PlayStation 3, Masaru Kato’s comment seemingly pointed only at a new PlayStation home console, thereby confirming for the first time that Sony was preparing for the next generation of gaming. Said Kato:

For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life, but this is a platform business, so for the future platform — when we’ll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that — but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there.

Japan, however, was reportedly surprised by the large amount of coverage this statement was receiving in the west, and made it clear that the platform in question was Sony’s NGP/Vita, and not a PlayStation 4. Japan’s J-Cast news looked into the situation further by asking Sony for any official comment, to which they were told, “We have nothing to announce at this time.”

Regardless of the fact that an official announcement of the PlayStation 4 is quite honestly the last thing expected from Sony this year, if you were a multi-billion dollar corporation, would you announce your next big investment nonchalantly a week before a widely publicized and highly broadcasted event? We wouldn’t either.

[Via]