PS3 FW Update 3.70 Detailed, Coming Soon
If you cast your mind back to when the PS3 still had its original software, it’s incredible to think how much it has changed, simply with firmware upgrades. While cross game chat will probably never come to the console (unless you put our podcast on it), the features under the hood have expanded greatly, making the device truly future proof. And if you’re a fan of having your PS3 improve, then we have some good news: a new firmware update is on the horizon.
Firmware version 3.70 will bring a whole host of new features – especially if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber. If you’re paying the monthly/yearly subscription, Sony will give you the option to automate two existing features. To show these features, the [Automatic Download] feature will be renamed [Automatic Update].
- A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
- Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.
A new recommendation function will also be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with your friends on PSN. If you really want to
sell something for Sony show someone an interesting game, you will be able to send messages with a store link to friends from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.
The update will also consolidate all the different video and streaming services into one category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. From there, you will be able to download applications such as Netflix and Vudu, and downloaded services will be placed in a folder called “My Channels”
If you watch 3D Blu-ray movies, you’re also in for a little treat:
- 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
- DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
- 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.
The update will come “soon”, along with a “minor” PSP update that will be version 6.60.