Skyrim Defeats The Last of Us to Win in Amazon UK’s Game of the Generation Poll
The generation may not be over yet, with many games still set to come out for current generation consoles, but that didn’t stop Amazon UK from holding a poll to determine this generation’s greatest game. Between June 1st and August 4th, people voted on Amazon, with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim defeating The Last of Us (which was released two weeks into the initial voting stage) to take home the crown.
Here’s a quick look at the winners and losers from the top 16:
Amazon also posted some fun facts about the poll:
- Released on December 2nd, 2005, Call of Duty 2 is the oldest title to receive a vote.
- Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us each received more votes than all of the Xbox 360 exclusives combined.
- Super Mario Galaxy was the most popular console exclusive, ahead of Uncharted 2.
- Released in June, The Last of Us is not only the most recent game to receive a vote, but also the most popular game that isn’t part of a series.
- With just one more vote, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood would’ve made the final 16 tournament.
- The only western with a vote, Red Dead Redemption received more votes than beat ‘em ups, football games and Call of Duty titles combined.
- Not living up to its name, Army of Two received just the one entry.
- Games that started out as downloadables, such as Limbo, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Bastion, all received votes, but Journey was the closest to crack the final 16.
- Votes also went for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Persona 4 Golden.
Personally, I think it’s a little premature to hold a vote for the greatest game this generation, but this is a good reminder of how many amazing games have been released on PS3/Xbox 360/Wii so far.
What is your greatest game this generation so far? Do you agree with the pick of Skyrim? Let us know in the comments below.