Grand Theft Auto V Breaks 7 Guinness World Records, Sold 11.21 Million Copies in 24 Hours
Sure, Rockstar and sales data trackers can say that Grand Theft Auto V set all sorts of sales records in its first few days on the market, but it really isn’t official until you’re recognized by Guinness World Records.
Detailing that GTA V sold 11.21 million copies in its first 24 hours ($815.7 million/£511.8 million in revenue), then crossing the $1 billion/£624.45 million after three days, here’s all the records the game broke, stealing spots away from Call of Duty, The Avengers, and Avatar:
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
How long do you think these records will stand? Forever? Until Call of Duty: Ghosts? Let us know in the comments below.
More Grand Theft Auto V: