The Walking Dead Season 2 Won’t be on PS4/Xbox One at Launch, “Telltale Will be on the New Consoles”
With Season 2 of The Walking Dead now officially confirmed and pegged to begin later this year on PS3, PS Vita, and “additional platforms”, Telltale Games Community Lead Laura Perusco answered what the status of a PS4 version is:
We haven’t announced any plans for next gen, but everyone here at Telltale is pretty excited about the possibilities that PlayStation 4 offers!
As for whether the PS3 and PS Vita versions would release on the same day, Laura added, “We’re still working to finalize release dates for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, so look out for more news on that!”
In addition, Telltale Games Founder Dan Connors and Kevin Bruner held a Reddit AMA, with Dan talking about which IP he’d choose if he could:
Coming from LucasArts, we have so many people here that love Star Wars and have worked with the license so that would be a great fit and very cool. In addition we will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can’t wait to announce those.
Kevin touched upon the subject of new IP by saying, “I’ll also say a Telltale Star Wars game would make me VERY happy! We’ve got some IP coming up that pretty much checks all of my personal favorites, which absolutely amazes/honors me.” Better yet, you can expect Telltale to announce their new IP “very soon.”
Kevin then divulged some more details about The Walking Dead, which we placed in bullet point Q&A form:
- Any plans for The Walking Dead on PS4? “Telltale will be on the [PS4 and Xbox One], but we won’t have any games on the them at launch.”
- When does Season 2 come out? “With submissions on multiple platforms it’s difficult to lock down the exact date (since it’s not entirely under our control). But I can say we are very close to submitting, and it’s usually not too long after that!”
- Have you made any improvements to the game engine? “We’ve made a bunch of improvements, but we still have a bunch to do. It’s better, but we are working on a pretty big overhaul that will be ready next summer.”
- Will Season 2 be released at retail? “It’ll be available at retail sometime after the season completes.”
- Can we move our save file from one platform to another? “There won’t be any cross platform linking or recovery tool. If you don’t have Season 1 data, we randomize it for you. In the future we hope to be able to do this, but we’re not there yet.”
Which system are you planning on buying The Walking Dead Season 2 for? Let us know in the comments below.