Minecraft: PS3 Edition Releasing on December 17th in North America, December 18th in Europe; Includes a Platinum Trophy
Update: There will be a demo for Minecraft in the PlayStation Store this week, and when it comes to multiplayer, “It supports up to four players in split-screen, and eight online.”
Original Story: As if tomorrow’s PlayStation Store update wasn’t going to be busy enough, Mojang and 4J Studios has revealed that Minecraft: PS3 Edition will be releasing for the PlayStation 3 on December 17th in North America, with Europe getting it on December 18th. Oddly, they didn’t give out a price, but it’s likely to be $19.99 (the same price as the Xbox 360 version).
A few frequently asked questions were answered in the announcement post, with the important information below:
- Minecraft: PS3 Edition includes everything in the other console versions (Xbox 360), with the games “pretty much identical to play, and will be developed in tandem from now on.”
- Downloadable skins and texture packs won’t be available at launch, but are going to be sold on the PlayStation Store “soon after release.”
- When it came to PlayStation-specific skins and texture packs, they said, “PlayStation-specific skins and texture packs would be cool! Fingers crossed, eh?”
- They don’t know if Minecraft: PS3 Edition will feature Remote Play (I assume they meant Cross Play) or compatibility with the PS4 or PS Vita versions.
- Herobrine “probably” doesn’t feature in the PS3 edition.
Owen Hill of Mojang then answered a few more questions, which you can read about below:
- There will be “more info on pricing and the Vita version soon.”
- They “can’t talk about” whether or not there will be Cross Buy between the PS3 and PS4 versions yet.
- Minecraft: PS3 Edition is “digital only for the time being.”
- There are “loads of trophies,” with Owen saying, “Good luck getting the Plat!”
The wait will be a little longer for the other versions as Minecraft on PS4 and PS Vita won’t be released until 2014.
Are you buying Minecraft on PS3 tomorrow? Let us know in the comments below.