Rumor: New Headset Listing Suggests the PS4 Headset Compatibility Firmware Update Will be 1.60
As we’re still awaiting the PS4 firmware update to add support for the Pulse Elite headsets, a new listing for a “Sony – Gold Wireless Stereo Headset for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3″ has popped up on Best Buy, Rakuten, and Play-Asia’s websites. Interestingly, while Best Buy says it’s Stereo in their title, Play-Asia has a much more detailed features list and says it’s 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound.
Here’s the full list of features found on Play-Asia:
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively) and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you
- Compatible Hardware: Mobile Devices (Not all mobile devices are supported. Certain features may not work on some compatible mobile devices)
Something very interesting above is how PS4 system software version 1.60 is required for the headset to work, yet that update hasn’t been released (the PS4′s latest was 1.52). So, it looks like Sony will be jumping right to 1.60 the next time they issue a firmware update on the PS4, and it looks like headset compatibility will be included.
Aside from the blue insides, this ‘Gold Headset’ has a similar design to the PlayStation 3 Wireless Stereo Headset released previously.
Of course, until all of this is confirmed by Sony, treat the headset and firmware update number as a rumor for now.