Call of Duty: Ghosts ‘Onslaught’ DLC Coming to PS3/PS4 on Thursday, February 6th (Update 2: Out on February 27th)
Update 2: Activision sent out a press release today, confirming that Onslaught will launch for PS3, PS4, and PC on February 27th.
Update 1: In an even more interesting turn of events, the PS Blog has completely removed any mention of the Onslaught DLC and its release date on their website, and haven’t indicated why they took it down or if there’s a new date. Activision, however, issued a statement to Videogamer, saying that the February 6th PS3/PS4 release date for Onslaught is incorrect and we should be getting an official release date soon.
If the one month DLC exclusivity on Xbox holds up, we should get Onslaught on February 27th, but that’s just a guess at the moment.
Original Story: In a very interesting turn of events, the Onslaught DLC for Call of Duty: Ghosts will be releasing on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 this Thursday, February 6th. Judging from past Call of Duty titles, we guessed the release date would be about a month after the Xbox version (which got it on January 28th), but this suggests the Xbox DLC exclusivity is much shorter for Ghosts, with the PlayStation version coming out just over a week later.
As noted on the PS Blog, Onslaught will be available at 12PM PT/3PM ET on Thursday, and here’s what you’ll be getting with the DLC:
- Set alongside the banks of a murky lake, every area within Fog is a chilling homage to classic horror films, from an eerie campsite, flickering TVs, torture chamber, and seemingly abandoned structures as players try to unlock the map’s dark secret. If a player happens to find and complete a specific Field Order, they become the embodiment of evil and don the persona of one of cinema’s most iconic horror characters, Michael Myers. Additionally, the entire soundscape changes to the eerily familiar Halloween theme music so other players know to run for their lives.
- A close-quarters map set on a coastal Californian boardwalk packed with seaside gift stores and an aquarium, offering players fast-paced run-and-gun matches. Players must also be wary of the deadly artillery strike enemies can call-in from a Naval Destroyer anchored just offshore.
- Transports you to a war-torn Mexican village, where the battle rages along both banks of the dried out riverbed. The action in this compact map centers on the remains of a small bridge holding a hi-jacked truck filled with leaking radioactive material. Surrounded by a myriad of abandoned bars, cafes, a church and a pool hall, Containment also features elevated rooftop vantage points for players who prefer longer-range engagements.
- Launches you into an aging Florida space launch facility. Inspired by Scrapyard – the fan-favorite multiplayer map from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, reimagined with dynamic gameplay elements – Ignition packs plenty of action both above and below ground amongst abandoned warehouses, flame trenches, and a massive transport crawler. As if rockets crash-landing into the map weren’t enough, the close-quarters combat is further complicated via two separate rocket test engines sites that opposing forces can trigger, sending massive fireballs into the already intense firefights, and the failed launch of a massive rocket has a dramatic effect on the combat.
- A dual-purpose Assault Rifle or Sniper Rifle that you can choose how to use depending on your tactical needs – a first for Call of Duty. Outfitted with a lightweight wood stock this weapon can be selected in either the Assault or the Sniper Rifle class. As an Assault Rifle the weapon’s fire rate becomes fully-automatic with high damage at a decent range, and as a Sniper Rifle the Maverick sports an advanced scope and a semi-auto rate of fire.
New Extinction Content
Episode 1: Nightfall
- Introducing a narrative driven by two new characters, and featuring two all-new alien species and an exclusive weapon, Episode 1: Nightfall is a fast and frenetic, action-packed continuation of the original Extinction experience in Call of Duty: Ghosts. Set in a remote facility hidden deep within the Alaskan wilderness, the shadowy Nightfall Program has been researching the origins of the newly revealed alien threat. A small recon team of elite soldiers must infiltrate the site to retrieve intel and exterminate the hordes of savage creatures, and along the way uncover a three-story tall terror unlike anything they’ve faced before.
Are you going to be buying Onslaught? Let us know in the comments below.