PS4 Firmware Update 2.00 Further Detailed: Includes USB Music Player, Add to Library, Much More (Update)
As part of an update to their original post, Sony removed the feature of Back Up Data, which allowed you to back up data, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more, to USB storage. They said, “Back Up Data, a feature listed in an earlier version of this post, is not part of PS4 system software 2.00.”
The original story has been updated to reflect this.
Sony’s Scott McCarthy revealed that there’s still more details to be revealed for PS4 firmware update 2.00, with a release date teased for late October/early November. Head over here to see the full story.
Codenamed Masamune, Sony has pulled back the curtain even further PlayStation 4 firmware update 2.00, which is still scheduled to release later this fall.
USB Music Player
- PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
- Note: User can play music files stored inside USB storage but cannot copy music files to PS4 HDD. This application cannot be used at the same time with Music Unlimited. USB Music Player will appear once USB storage is inserted, and will disappear once USB storage is removed.
- In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
Players You May Know
- PS4 will now suggest players you may know in the ‘What’s New’ section, recommending gamers your friends frequently play with.
Enhancements to Live Broadcasting
- Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
Content Area and Library
- PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
Enhanced Voice Commands
- The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
Add To Library
- The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
In addition, the PlayStation App on iOS and Android will be updated at around the same time the PS4 receives firmware update 2.00. This will add a new layout for tablets, as well as a redesign to the app’s home screen.
What do you think of PS4 firmware update now?
[Source: PS Blog]