Report: Hideo Kojima to Leave Konami After Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

March 19, 2015 Written by Jason Dunning

metalgearsolidthephantompainpic7

Following the news of changes earlier today within Konami, GameSpot spoke with an anonymous source from Kojima Productions, where they said that, after Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom is finished, Hideo Kojima and other senior members of the studio will leave Konami.

“After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami,” the source claims. “They said their contract ends in December.”

They added, “At a team meeting, Mr. Kojima explained that team have to be one and make a good game for fans.”

As GameSpot’s report continues, there’s been a fallout between Kojima Productions and Konami, leading senior staff at the studio to be restricted from access to corporate internet, emails, and phone. In addition, the report says senior staff at the studio, including Kojima, essentially work as contractors and not employees.

So far, Konami’s statement on today’s news has been the following:

As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements.

If Konami provides any further statements on this matter, we’ll let you know.

While they may or may not mean anything, here’s the last two non-retweeted tweets by Hideo Kojima:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain launches on September 1 for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

[Source: GameSpot]