April 2015 NPD: Xbox One Beats PS4, Mortal Kombat X Finishes in First
Ending a three-month winning streak for the PlayStation 4, the NPD revealed today that the Xbox One topped hardware sales in the United States last month.
As Microsoft said in a statement, Xbox One console sales in April 2015 were up 63% compared to April 2014.
Sony had this to say about the NPD results:
We would like to thank fans around the world for their continued support of the PS4. According to NPD, PlayStation continues to lead software sales for April 2015 and PS4 remains the cumulative sales leader in the US. We are looking forward to an amazing E3.
As for actual numbers in April 2015, total sales at retailers was up 3% from $579.5 million in April 2014 to $595.7 million in April 2015. Broken down, hardware actually dropped 4% to $183.9 million, while software was up 13% to $256.7 million, and accessories fell 3% to $155.1 million.
NPD analyst Liam Callahan added:
After 18 months on the market for Xbox One and PS4, we are seeing cumulative hardware sales over 50 per cent higher than the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 at the same point in their lifecycles.
Looking at individual titles, Mortal Kombat X was #1 and saw the highest first-month sales of any game in the franchise.
Here’s the top 10 selling games in March 2015, which totals retail sales across all systems and includes Collectors Editions, GOTY Editions, and bundles, but not those bundled with hardware (sales by platform are ranked in brackets from highest-selling to least-selling):
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)
- Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
If you missed it, here’s what happened in March 2015.