Guillermo del Toro Talks Silent Hills Cancellation, P.T. Was Downloaded “Enormously”

May 15, 2015 Written by Jason Dunning

silenthillsimage1

Cancelled last month by Konami, with its playable teaser removed from the PlayStation Store, Silent Hills from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro was going to push the new platforms, according to del Toro.

Speaking with IGN while promoting his next movie, Crimson Peak, del Toro revealed that he was devastated by the game’s cancellation, with the two leads already agreeing on where to take Silent Hills.

He explained:

What we wanted to do with the game – and we were very much in agreement on this – was to take the technology and make it as cutting-edge as we could in creating terror in the house. The idea was very, very atmosphere-drenched.

But what made Silent Hill so great was that you had the atmosphere but then you a pay-off with a very active, very intense series of moments. We wanted to do some stuff that I’m pretty sure – just in case it ever comes back, which honestly I would love for somebody to change their mind and we can do it – but in case it comes back there was some stuff that was very new, and I wouldn’t want to spoil it.

As for P.T., the Silent Hills playable teaser, he says it was “downloaded enormously” and proved there’s still a passion for the series. “It’s a truly great mythology and too great a storytelling arena to let die,” he added. “It’s too good.”

When it comes to Konami’s handling of P.T.’s removal from the PlayStation Store, it surprised him. “It was a sort of scorched earth approach,” he said. “It was not a gentle and ambiguous cancellation.”

With Silent Hills no longer happening, it marks the second time a video game by del Toro was cancelled – Insane development stopped in 2012 due to THQ’s financial issues – and these two experiences have left him “reeling” and unsure of whether or not he’ll “ever come back to the form.”

[Source: IGN]