July 2015 NPD Report: LEGO Jurassic World Is #1 as Total Industry Sales Climb to $542 MIllion
For a breakdown of categories, hardware was up 2% to $202.1 million, software (including PC) was flat at $184.4 million, and accessories were up 17% to $161.3 million.
While LEGO Jurassic World was the overall best-selling game in July, NPD analyst Liam Callahan reveals that, “if sales were included from hardware bundles, Batman: Arkham Knight would be the highest-selling game.” Warner Bros, the publisher of both titles, is the top publisher so far this year with an increase of over 200% in dollar sales.
Although previous generation console sales were down 56%, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are doing great, as Callahan added:
After 21 months, combined Xbox One and PS4 hardware unit sales are close to 50 percent higher than the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 after 21 months on the market.
Here’s the top 10 selling games in July 2015, which totals retail sales across all systems and includes Collectors Editions, GOTY Editions, and bundles, but not those bundled with hardware (sales by platform are ranked in brackets from highest-selling to least-selling):
- Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PS4, Vita)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Minecraft (360, PS3 ,Xbox One, PS4)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (PS4, Xbox One)
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
As you can see, Rory McIlroy PGA Tour was the best-selling new release, while God of War 3 Remastered didn’t make the top 10.
You can see the June 2015 NPD results over here.