Horror Game Knock Knock Creeps to PS4 on September 10
A game created as the result of a mysterious email received by developer Ice-Pick Lodge, Knock Knock is releasing for PlayStation 4 on September 10 in North America and Europe.
On their website, Ice-Pick Lodge explained how Knock Knock began:
In late November, 2011, a strange and troubling event has happened to our studio. We have received an anonymous e-mail which suggested that we should produce some “unconventional” game based upon the materials attached to the letter. Such offers are a dime a dozen and most of the time they barely deserve any attention at all, however, this one seemed quite different.
The attachment contained a set of 19 files added to an archive titled “lestplay”. The files (snippets of text, scraps of audio recording, video footage fragments) as well as the style and wording of the message itself appeared to be rather disturbing. The surface examination did not reveal anything straightforwardly terrifying, yet we could not escape the feeling that something truly sinister was lurking underneath.
The stranger was begging us to complete the project he has started, yet he also made us well aware of the risk we took as the proposed ludic situation would potentially explain what calamity befell whoever has compiled the ominous archive, thus urging ourselves to meet the same fate.
A horror title where your goal is to survive a haunted house and retain your sanity until sunrise, here’s some gameplay details for Knock Knock:
The Lodger is wandering the rooms, evading the unknown, counting minutes till morning. But it’s only in the night that he can solve the main puzzle and find the answers. What’s going on? Are the Guests real, or are they just figments of his insomniac imagination? What’d happened to the forest? What’s happening to the cabin? Is there a line between reality and imagination?
- Hide! Play hide-and-seek with denizens of your nightmares.
- Don’t look now! The goal of each night is to reach dawn while still sane.
- Fill in the gaps. The house aids the Lodger. You only have to fix it up and keep it in order.
- Seek. The Lodger has lost something very important. The reason for what is happening is somewhere inside. Everything that is happening can be explained, you only need to find the key and bring it to light.
- Wait. In this game you need to watch and listen carefully. Inspect and scrutinize. You only have to last until the sunrise.
- Follow the rules of the game! Of course you must first understand the game being played with you.
You can check out the Trophies for Knock Knock over on Exophase, though they do contain spoilers.