August 2015 NPD Report: Madden NFL 16 Is #1, Software & Hardware Fall 2%
While we don’t know which console won August 2015 in the United States yet (Update: PS4 was #1 in North America), the NPD’s report is out, revealing that Madden NFL 16 was the #1 game of the month, and total industry sales were at $548 million (down 2% compared to last year).
For a breakdown, software sales were at $207.9 million (down 10%), hardware was down 2% to $190.5 million, and accessories were up 12% to $149.6 million.
As for the top 10 selling games of August, Madden was the highest-charting new release and sold the most on PlayStation 4, while Until Dawn was the lowest-charting new release in 7th, losing to both Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and Rare Replay.
NPD analyst Liam Callahan adds:
New physical software sales for [new-gen] consoles, up 34 percent, did not offset the 51 percent decline in [last] generation console sales as well as the 24 percent drop in portable software sales. This led to the 10 percent decline in August 2015 sales versus August 2014.
Here’s the top 10 selling games in August 2015 (August 2 – 29), which totals retail sales across all systems and includes Collectors Editions, GOTY Editions, and bundles, but not those bundled with hardware (sales by platform are ranked in brackets from highest-selling to least-selling):
- Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
- Rare Replay (Xbox One)
- Until Dawn (PS4)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack (360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
You can see the NPD results for July 2015 over here.