Play as a Lost Dog in Home Free, Coming to PS4 in November 2016
Fully funded on Kickstarter within five days, and sitting at $66,000 with 16 days to go, Home Free from Makeroca is coming to PlayStation 4 and PC/Mac in November 2016.
Playing as a lost dog in a randomly generated city, Home Free will have you looking for food, friends, and home, as you can see in the above trailer.
Kevin Cancienne of Makeroca says he created Home Free for NYU’s No Quarter Show in 2014 because he wanted to make a game about “the sheer joy and physicality of dog play.”
But ultimately, I had something bigger in mind. The idea of being a dog in an open world city game seemed like something I had to pursue. A dog can’t steal a car or shoot a gun, but has to use its instincts to survive in an environment that wasn’t built with canines in mind.
With my random city generator, I had a way to create a place where no one’s been before, a place where every player can feel truly lost. I was inspired by the vibrant, abstract visions of Tokyo on display in games like Jet Set Radio and Katamari Damacy, and now I had a way to create a near-infinite number of variations on them.
Described as an open-world action RPG, here’s the features of Home Free:
- Be a dog in an unexplored city!
- Play as any of over a dozen breeds (plus many more color and marking variations). Maybe even more, depending on stretch goals and rewards!
- Explore a dense, procedurally-generated city unique to your game. Every street, alleyway, building, nook and cranny was generated just for your game. No one has been here before, so you better start marking your territory.
- Player-driven narrative. Shape the story of one dog’s survival through your choices and actions. Experience the the world from the perspective a creature who will never quite understand why that world acts the way it does.
- Wrestle, wriggle, and pounce. Home Free features a full range of canine moves to master, whether you’re playing with friendly dogs in a local park or escaping the aggressions of territorial dogs in a dark alley.
- Learn the unique rhythms of your city. Which neighborhood has the tastiest garbage just after sunset? What park empties at mid-day so you and your dog friends can have a fun romp when no one’s around?
- Decide how to survive. Will you be a bandit, stealing food from unsuspecting humans when you can? A performer, trying to earn treats and sympathy from dog-friendly citizens? Or a scavenger, sticking to the margins and following your nose?
- Dog it up with your friends in real life! Home Free comes bundled with my local multiplayer dog wrasslin’ game, Dog Park, included at all backer levels!
As mentioned in the last bullet point, Dog Park is a four-player, local multiplayer dog wrasslin’ game included inside Home Free:
You can check out the Kickstarter campaign for Home Free over here.
[Source: PS Blog]