Star Wars Battlefront Skirmish Mode to Feature Online Co-Op, New Details Emerge
With a release date pegged for July 20, new details have emerged regarding the all-new Skirmish mode headed to Star Wars Battlefront.
Granting players the option of playing offline against bots in solo missions — or, alternatively, buddying up with a partner via split-screen — additional tidbits have surfaced via Reddit, revealing that Skirmish will be accessible across all of the base maps for both Walker Assault and Fighter Squadron.
- You can play all base Walker Assault and Fighter Squadron maps as well as the free maps.
- You can’t choose a skin but rebels get randomly generated skins each match (female, male, species), while imperials can only be helmeted stormtroopers. (It isn’t confirmed if Stormtrooper skins will change randomly or not, I have tried confirming on Twitter but can’t seem to get a response).
- You can play as a hero in both modes but the AI cannot play as heroes in Walker Assault but can play as them in Fighter Squadron.
- AI is smart, can disable objectives, shoot AT-ATs and AT-STs, etc.
- AI have star card hands that are capable of multiple tasks, such as fighting an AT-ST with a smart rocket or using ion shot on an AT-AT.
- You will have all weapons in the game to use and can choose from two well balanced star card hands, Endor apparently has a different hand, the third hand can be unlocked by completing Skirmish on Hard mode and allows you to use multiplayer cards. You can use all heroes in Skirmish (including new ones if you own them).
Additionally, according to DICE Designer David Spinner, it appears the Skirmish mode will feature online co-op. Replying to one fan via Twitter, Spinner noted that the new mode can be enjoyed online for those on PC and, presumably, consoles.
Skirmish Mode will be introduced into Star Wars Battlefront on July 20. Beyond that, the game’s third expansion will take fans to the Death Star before the year’s end.