New Overwatch Update Today Kicks off the Winter Wonderland Event
After downloading the 1.5GB Overwatch update released today on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, you’ll be able to access all of the festivities wrapped in the Winter Wonderland event, which runs until January 2, 2017.
With Overwatch’s Winter Wonderland, you’ll find holiday-themed loot boxes with over 100 new cosmetic items, the 6v6 Mei’s Snowball Offensive, and the halls of Hanamura and King’s Row have been decked out. Here’s what Blizzard says about the new items and Mei’s Snowball Offensive:
Starting today, all in-game Loot Boxes have been replaced with our impeccably wrapped Winter Loot Boxes, and they’re filled to the brim with over 100 new cosmetic trimmings!
As with previous events, Winter Loot Boxes can be earned or purchased, and each will contain at least one item from our 2016 Winter Wonderland collection – including profile icons, sprays, victory poses, emotes, highlight intros, skins, and more! While the contents of each seasonal Loot Box are random, you can unlock a variety of these cordial customization options in the Hero Gallery throughout the event’s duration.
Once you’ve unlocked an item, it will be yours forever, which means you can get into holly jolly hijinks all year-round. The collection will be dashing back into the vault on January 2, however (when the event concludes), so be sure to fire up your favorite gaming machine and celebrate before it’s too late!
Mei’s Snowball Offensive
During this year’s Winter Wonderland event, you’ll also be able to queue up for a brand new brawl: Mei’s Snowball Offensive! Mei’s Snowball Offensive is a 6v6, single-elimination shindig featuring everyone’s favorite climatologist—and she’s got a few new tricks up her fur-lined sleeve.
In this brawl, Mei’s Endothermic Blaster no longer unleashes a stream of frost or shoots icicles. Instead, it’s been modified to fire a single, super-powered snowball. Taking down an enemy only takes one hit, but a miss can be costly. Once your weapon is empty, your enemies will have the advantage as you search for the nearest snow pile to reload, so don’t forget to cover your retreat with ice walls and cryo-freeze to block their attacks—and when the battle starts to heat up, you can activate Mei’s Ultimate, which turns her blaster into a semi-automatic snowball launcher, allowing you to fire continuously as your enemies scatter.
In the patch notes for today’s update, Blizzard reveals that they added a new ‘Boop’ unlockable voice line for Sombra, fixed some PS4 Pro issues, and more:
- Added a new “Boop” unlockable voice line for Sombra
- Players can now select the 1v1 Mystery Duel and 3v3 Elimination game modes from the Custom Game menu
- Added a “Stay as Team” feature, which allows players to remain grouped with their teammates after the match has ended
- [PS4 Pro] Fixed a bug that could obscure or hide UI elements on a 4K display
- Fixed a bug that allowed more than one player to select the same hero on the Assemble Team screen, but forced one player to reselect after spawning
- Fixed a bug that forced players to join Play vs. AI matches when attempting to spectate a friend
- Fixed a bug causing a black screen to appear if players switched heroes as the round ended
- [PC] Fixed a bug that allowed the “H” key to close the Hero Select screen even after that function had been bound to a different key
- Bots are no longer able to use abilities or attack enemies after a Control match has ended
- [Console] Fixed a bug that prevented Ana from being selected in 1v1 matches
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from correctly receiving experience after joining an in-progress 3v3 match
- Fixed a bug preventing BattleTags from being displayed correctly during Highlight Intros and Plays of the Game in 1v1 and 3v3 matches
- Fixed a bug causing the respawn timer to remain visible during 3v3 matches
- Fixed a bug that allowed more than one player to select the same hero in rare situations
- Fixed a bug preventing the nameplate above D.Va’s mech from disappearing while being destroyed, and displaying a “0” instead of the player’s name
- Fixed a bug causing the “You” indicator (which typically only appears during killcam footage) to appear when D.Va looks directly at the ground
- D.Va’s video tutorial now includes changes made to her Defense Matrix resource mechanics
- Fixed a bug causing Genji’s sword to clip through its scabbard
- Fixed a bug causing Junkrat’s Steel Trap animation to play when detonating a Concussion Mine
- Fixed a bug causing Reinhardt’s hammer to become invisible to some players after using an emote
- Fixed a bug that interfered with the accuracy of the alternate fire for Roadhog’s Scrap Gun
- Fixed a bug that allowed players’ Ultimate ability voice lines to play uninterrupted, even if they were hacked by Sombra during use
- Fixed a bug preventing the sound effects from Torbjörn’s hammer from being played when his Ultimate ability was activated
- Fixed a bug causing Widowmaker’s Grappling Hook to begin its cooldown after going through Symmetra’s Teleporter
- [Console] Fixed a bug that allowed Mercy to receive Ultimate charge when using her Caduceus Staff to increase teammates’ damage when they’re not damaging enemies
- [Console] Fixed a bug preventing Reinhardt from deactivating his Barrier Field after being hacked by Sombra
- [Console] Fixed a bug preventing Sombra’s Hack from cancelling Soldier: 76’s Sprint ability
- [Console] Sombra no longer receives credit toward her on-fire meter when her EMP ultimate hits Symmetra’s turrets
- [Console] When multiple Sombras attempt to hack a health pack, the player that initialized the hack first will now control it
- [Console] Fixed a bug preventing Sombra’s Opportunist passive ability from seeing practice bots through the walls on the Practice Range
- [Console] Fixed a bug preventing Sombra’s reticle from consistently expanding while firing her Machine Pistol
- Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Watchpoint: Gibraltar
- Fixed a bug that prevented Mercy from using Resurrect in rare situations on King’s Row
You can learn more about the Hero balance changes over here.
Will you be playing Overwatch this holiday?