Shovel Knight to be Renamed Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Standalone Campaigns Incoming
Developer Yacht Club Games has announced that big changes are coming Shovel Knight this year, including a name change, price increase, and standalone campaign releases.
When Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows launches this spring, it will be accompanied by Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope, and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment. As Yacht Club Games explains, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove is what all versions of Shovel Knight will become known as, and you’ll be able to purchase each campaign as a separate, standalone game on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch (prices TBA).
Also this spring, the price of Shovel Knight will be increasing from its current $14.99 USD (new price TBA). Yacht Club adds, “If you haven’t picked up Shovel Knight yet and want all the content included within Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, buy it now before the price increases this Spring! Or pick a selection of the standalone versions for a cheaper price!”
Here’s why all of these changes are coming to Shovel Knight:
Well, we hope providing less expensive standalone versions will provide better entry points for different types of players! Also, players can more easily grab an adventure (or Battle Mode) on another platform!
All owners of Shovel Knight on all platforms will automatically own Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove instead and will continue to get each of the planned free campaigns and features via updates. It will work exactly like how Shovel Knight was updated to include its first campaign addition, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Don’t worry!
At the same time as Plague of Shadows this spring, Body Swap Mode will become available for Shovel Knight’s campaign, adding body-swapped versions of the main characters.
Then, later in 2017, the King Knight’s campaign and the 4-player Battle Mode will release on all platforms (Battle Mode won’t be available on 3DS/PS Vita). You’ll be able to buy them as standalone games, and they’ll also be delivered as free updates to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.
Here’s an overview of what each Shovel Knight standalone game will include:
- Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope – Shovel of Hope is our new name for the original Shovel Knight game, since it needed a title like the others.
- Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows – Plague Knight’s Campaign emerges from the Shadows to hopefully get some recognition this time!
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment – Specter of Torment is our most expansive campaign yet. We’re so excited for you to become the reaper!
Later in 2017 (Names TBD)
- Shovel Knight: King Knight’s Campaign – A crazy campaign with the gilded goob himself!
- Shovel Knight: Battle Mode – Duel with up to 4 players as your favorite heroic or villainous knight! (3DS/Vita not included)
If you have any questions about the upcoming Shovel Knight changes, check out this FAQ.
Even with all the new content in the works, Yacht Club says they’ll begin working on a new project outside of Shovel Knight this year.