Final Fantasy XV Was Profitable After Its First Day

February 7, 2017Written by Jason Dunning

Speaking with DualShockers recently, Game Director Hajime Tabata revealed that Final Fantasy XV had recouped its development costs on day one.

Shortly after Final Fantasy XV’s launched on November 29, Square Enix said five million copies were shipped on day one, setting a record for the franchise. By early January, more than six million copies had been shipped.

Back in March of 2016, Tabata appeared to say Final Fantasy XV needed to move 10 million copies to be successful. Square Enix quickly clarified that 10 million was a high goal for the development, and it “was never meant to be referred as a recoup line of the investment.”

In the new Spring 2017 Update trailer today, Square Enix offers up a preview of the Booster Pack, Episode Gladiolus, and Episode Prompto. According to Tabata, 70% of the Final Fantasy XV development team has remained to work on updates, DLC, and the PlayStation VR content. The other 30% is now at other development divisions.

[Source: DualShockers (1), (2)]