Major Movie Studios Pledge Support to PlayStation Network
Ever since the PlayStation Network Video Store went live back in July of 2008 , the service has played host to the hottest new movie releases and TV shows, as well as a vast back-catalog of previously released movies and more. Sony has just announced via press release that the PlayStation 3 will be the first home console to feature movies available for purchase from all 6 major movie studios.
SCEA announced today:
20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures, and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution will offer high definition (HD) movies for purchase and rental on the PlayStation®Network video delivery service in the United States. PlayStation Network is the first to offer high definition movies for purchase from all of the major movie studios, further establishing PlayStation®3 (PS3®) as the preeminent home entertainment platform for this year’s most popular and critically acclaimed high definition movies.
Peter Dille, senior vice president, marketing and PlayStation Network proudly said:
“Securing high definition content from these studios is another significant milestone further validating PlayStation Network as a complete entertainment network in the home. PlayStation Network is the first and only service to deliver high definition home entertainment from all six major studios, directly to consumers for download,”
“PlayStation Network continues to offer the most comprehensive catalogue of HD movies to PlayStation Network members that realize the wide-ranging entertainment power of the PS3 system.”
New titles available today on PlayStation Network include:
- 20th Century Fox – “Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian”, “Jennifer’s Body” and “Fantastic Mr. Fox” (on March 23)
- Walt Disney Pictures – Disney Pixar’s “Up”, Jerry Bruckheimer’s “G-Force” and Disney’s “Earth”
- Paramount Pictures – “Star Trek”, “Paranormal Activity” and “Zoolander”
- Sony Pictures – “This Is It”, “2012″, “District 9″ and “Zombieland”
- Universal – “Inglourious Basterds”, “Couples Retreat” and “Public Enemies”
- Warner Bros. Digital Distribution – “The Hangover”, “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” and “The Wizard of Oz”