While Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection came out two years ago, Sega is going to be releasing some of their most popular games straight onto the PSN. While we already have Gunstar Heroes, who’s to say we don’t want more?
That’s right, Sega will be releasing six Genesis staples over the next six months. For five bucks each, you can be the owner of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe 2, Comix Zone, Altered Beast. While the previously mentioned Ultimate Collection is the better deal (up to 48 games for what…$16 nowadays?), these games are easier to get if you just want a single deal.
But the bonus really comes for PlayStation Plus subscribers. Each of the six games will actually be free, AND available for one month ahead of the regular release date. Here’s the official schedule:
PlayStation Plus Releases (free)
- Sonic the Hedgehog – Available March 1 – April 5
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – Available April 5 – May 3
- Streets of Rage 2 – Available May 3 – May 31
- Golden Axe 2 – Available May 31 – July 5
- Comix Zone – Available July 5 – August 2
- Altered Beast – Available August 2 – August 30
Regular PlayStation Store Release ($4.99 each)
- Sonic the Hedgehog – March 29
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – April 19
- Streets of Rage 2 – May 17
- Golden Axe 2 – June 14
- Comix Zone – July 19
- Altered Beast – August 16
The main question on the PlayStation Blog right now are how the games are linked with an owner’s PlayStation Plus account. The term “free for a month” is rather ambiguous. After the first free month will games require the five dollar price? Or will they be like other free games, lasting only as long as the subscription is valid? When this information comes available, PlayStation LifeStyle will let you know!