Here at PlayStation LifeStyle the only thing we love (almost) as much as PlayStation is Android. To that effect, we have been working on some new and improved PSLS mobile apps, starting with the Android version. The full app is still baking (do I smell Gingerbread?), but in the meantime you can satisfy your app hunger with this Live Wallpaper. Before we submit it to the Android Market we wanted to give our readers a sneak preview.
Since this is a beta version, and since the app is not cryptographically signed like a normal Market app, there will be one hurdle to overcome. If you have not already done so, open up your Settings app and click on “Applications”. Depending on the version of Android you are running, you will see a setting with a checkbox labeled something to the effect of “Unknown Sources” and “Allow install of non-Market applications”. Make sure this box is checked, and if it gives you the willies to leave it open you can uncheck the box after the application is installed.
To download the Live Wallpaper you can either download the .apk file here and push it to your phone via your favorite route (we like Dropbox), or go to http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/apps/ on your Android device and click on the link for “PSLS Live Wallpaper”. Once it downloads, you should be prompted to install the app.
If you’ve never tried enabling a Live Wallpaper for your Android device, here is a walkthrough:
- Tap your home button to bring up your home screen
- Long press on an empty spot on the screen to bring up the “Add to Home Screen” menu
- Click on Wallpapers
- Depending on your device you will see a few options, but choose “Live Wallpapers”
- A list of live wallpapers in alphabetical order will appear. Scroll to PSLS Live Wallpaper and tap
- A preview of the Live Wallpaper will load (ooooh, ahhhhh) and a “Set wallpaper” button.
- Click the button to enable the wallpaper
The uninstall process will vary depending on your version of Android, but it will be roughly:
- Open up your Settings app
- Tap Applications
- Tap Manage Applications
- Under the Third-Party or All tabs, scroll to PSLS Live Wallpaper and tap
- Tap the “Uninstall” button
- Live with the fact that you made me very, very sad.
If you have any feedback, feel free to comment on this post or the forums. If you have troubles please let me know your device and Android version. So far it works smashingly on the Samsung Vibrant, the Droid 3 and Xperia PLAY.
The Live Wallpapers API was introduced in Android 2.1, so the only requirement is a device running at least Android 2.1.