Ensuring its dominance all over the world, The Last of Us from Naughty Dog placed first in the Japanese sales charts between June 17th and 23rd, 2013, with an estimated 117,465 copies sold, according to Media Create. This number was far and above the second place game, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, which pushed out just over 42,000 units.
Taking a look at system totals, the PlayStation Vita was at 13,422, PS3 was at 9,816, and the PSP managed 5,091. All these systems were dwarfed by the 3DS though, which saw healthy sales of 43,269.
Here’s the top 10 selling games in Japan for the week ending June 23rd, 2013:
- The Last of Us (PS3) – 117,465
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) – 42,247
- Friend Collection: New Life (3DS) – 34,286
- Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP (PSV) – 29,933
- Kuma-Tomo (3DS) – 12,705
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) – 12,491
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) – 11,859
- Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS) – 11,058
- Storm Lover 2nd (PSP) – 10,001
- Ro-Kyu-Bu! Lost Secret (PSP) – 9,282
Are you surprised that The Last of Us was #1 in Japan? Let us know in the comments below.