Finally pulling back the curtain on details surrounding the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita versions of Minecraft, 4J Studios and Mojang have announced that they will both release in August 2014, with the PS Vita version including Cross Buy with PS3.
Here’s a rundown of all the news you need to know about the upcoming PS Vita and PS4 versions of Minecraft:
Minecraft: PS Vita Edition
- Minecraft: PS3 + PS Vita Edition will be available on the PSN in August.
- It will include all the features from the most recent Playstation 3 version, including online play, on Vita.
- If you’ve bought Minecraft: PS3 Edition from PSN you’ll be able to upgrade for free.
- Mojang is working closely with Sony Computer Entertainment to look into ways to enable upgrade from the Blu-ray disc version of Minecraft: PS3 Edition to Minecraft: PS3 + PS Vita Edition. There will be more info on this closer to release.
- Everyone who has bought Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition from PSN will get it on Vita for free through Cross Buy.
- Minecraft: PS3 + PS Vita Edition will cost $19.99.
- It doesn’t matter if you buy for PS3 or Vita first, you own the game for both platforms.
- Saves are transferable between the Playstation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions of Minecraft. You will be able to craft at home on your Playstation 3, then continue on the bus/toilet with your Playstation Vita.
- All of the DLC you’ve purchased for Minecraft: PS3 Edition will work on Minecraft: PS3 + PS Vita Edition.
Minecraft: PS4 Edition
- Minecraft: PS4 Edition will be released on the PSN in August. It brings significantly bigger worlds and a greater draw distance than Playstation 3 + Vita Edition.
- It will include all the features from the most recent Playstation 3 version.
- Minecraft: PS4 Edition will cost $19.99.
- If you’ve purchased Minecraft: PS3 Edition from the Playstation Network, you will be able to upgrade for $4.99.
- You will be able to upgrade for a minimum of a year after the release date.
- Mojang is working closely with Sony Computer Entertainment to look into ways to enable upgrade from the Blu-ray disc version of Minecraft: PS3 Edition to Minecraft: PS4 Edition. They will have more info on this closer to release.
- Players with PS3 Edition or PS3 + PS Vita Edition saves will be able to import their worlds to Playstation 4. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to transfer your saves from Playstation 4 to Playstation 3/Vita. There are technical reasons for this; we can make worlds bigger without too much stress, but shrinking them causes all kinds of problems.
- Cross-platform play will not be possible between Minecraft: PS3 + PS Vita Edition and Minecraft: PS4 Edition.
- Many, but not all, of the DLC skins and texture packs you’ve purchased for PS3 Edition will be available for use in PS4 Edition. We’d like to say all your DLC would transfer but some of the items are trapped in licensing deals that are too boring to get into here. They’ll have more on this soon.
No details were given about any potential retail versions of the game on PS4 or PS Vita, so stay tuned for more news on those as time progresses.
Will you be playing Minecraft on your PS4 or PS Vita this August? Let us know in the comments below.