Last night at the 15th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards, hosted by Tim Schafer, Monolith’s Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor walked away with Game of the Year honors, beating out Destiny, Hearthstone, Alien: Isolation, and Bayonetta 2.
However, the night belonged to Monument Valley, which took home the most awards of any game, including Best Visual Art, Innovation, and Best Handheld/Mobile Game.
Game Developers Conference General Manager Meggan Scavio talked about the awards show:
I continue to be amazed by the diversity of games that we honored tonight, from AAA action titles like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor to standout mobile games like Monument Valley. The games recognized tonight highlight that the video game industry is moving in bold new directions, and they can offer experiences that can be big, small, intimate, epic, unique, grand and compelling. Congratulations to all the nominees and winners.
Here’s the full list of winners from the 15th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards (see the nominees over here):
- Game of the Year – Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Best Debut – Stoic Studio (The Banner Saga)
- Innovation Award – Monument Valley
- Best Visual Art – Monument Valley
- Best Handheld/Mobile Game – Monument Valley
- Best Technology – Destiny
- Best Audio – Alien: Isolation
- Best Narrative – Kentucky Route Zero: Act III
- Best Design – Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
- Audience Award – Elite: Dangerous
- Pioneer Award – David Braben
- Ambassador Award – Brenda Romero
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Hironobu Sakaguchi
Winners were selected by the Game Developers Choice Awards-specific International Choice Awards Network (ICAN), which is an invitation-only group comprised of leading game creators from all parts of the video game industry.
Do you agree with Shadow of Mordor winning Game of the Year?