Along with a bunch of tweaks and changes, today’s Evolve update on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC adds the new Arena Mode, which is described as a “life-or-death cage match.”
Removing the sneaky cat-and-mouse creeping around, Arena Mode drops the Monster and Hunter squad in a dome with no escape. There will be five domes on each of the 14 maps in Evolve, giving you 70 different venues to choose from.
For how Arena Mode works exactly, you select a map at the start, then enter into a best-of-three series. Locked in the dome until one side is eliminated, after that first match is complete you’ll immediately jump into another dome on the same map for round two, which continues until there’s a victor.
Turtle Rock then discussed some of the rules of Arena Mode:
- All the Hunters and Monster begin each match with one perk.
- Monsters start at Stage 2 with 50 percent armor, but can feed on wildlife in battle to regain armor and even evolve to Stage 3. (Though the size of the mobile arena makes this a tough task.)
- The dome isn’t coming down. So, for all you Trappers out there, your job got a little easier.
- There is no dropship timer. Once a Hunter dies in battle, they have to sit it out until the next fight.
- Players can’t change their character or perk selection between rounds, but Monster players can change their abilities.
They then teased, “Obviously, if you’re looking to get competitive with Evolve, something like an Arena Mode is going to be awesome to play – or watch. That’s just a taste of things to come.”
As for today’s patch/hotfix on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (3.0.1) and PC (3.1.1), full details are available over here. It includes many tweaks to the Hunters, Monsters, wildlife, perks, and more.
Revealed earlier this month, Evolve sits at around 2.5 million copies shipped to retailers since launch.
Will you be playing Arena Mode today?