Taking roughly nine hours, the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter reached its $2 million goal, meaning the game will be coming to the PlayStation 4 and PC.
According to the rewards section, Shenmue 3 will release as a digital-only title on PS4 in December 2017, while PC gets it physical and digital.
Here’s what the Kickstarter page says about Shenmue 3:
Shenmue 3 is the true sequel to the classic open world action RPG games, Shenmue and Shenmue 2. Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue.
- Shenmue 3 will have familiar elements from its predecessors and new fight mechanics to achieve a new level of interactive storytelling.
- If this project reaches its funding goal, Shenmue 3 will be available on the PS4 and PC.
- Our ambition is to deliver a Shenmue experience that will draw in newcomers to the series and reward diehard fans with its deep story and rich gameplay.
Where we left off… Ryo Hazuki has made his way to China in search of his father’s killer. There he meets a new travelling companion, Shenhua, and learns of a legend from her village that has foretold their path together.
The story continues as Ryo and Shenhua start off on a new journey that will take them farther into enemy territory, deeper into mystery, and ever closer to their destiny.
Will the mystery of the mirrors be revealed? How is Ryo’s father connected to all of this? Will Ryo track down the Chi You Men cartel and face Lan Di in a final showdown?
Sitting at $2.4 million as of 8am/11am, these are the stretch goals for Shenmue 3:
- $2.5 million – Shenmue 1 & 2 cinema shorts
- $2.6 million – German subtitles
- $2.7 million – French subtitles
- $2.8 million – Spanish subtitles
- $2.9 million – Italian subtitles
- $3.2 million – Rapport system
- $3.5 million – Skill Tree system
- $4 million – Baisha Village expanded, Mini Games x5
In the Risks and Challenges section, they talk about development, saying they have “an experienced team, deeply connected with the Shenmue franchise.” As with any project, there could be delays depending on how things go. If a potential delay does happen, “the whole Shenmue 3 team promises to keep you updated and informed on the game development and reward delivery progress.”
Have you backed Shenmue 3?