A 2D side-scrolling RPG where you play as an AI named Dex, Dex is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Q1 2016, with a PlayStation Vita version following later.
From Dreadlocks Studio and BadLand Indie, Dex follows Dex’s quest for Singularity, a theoretical event where artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence. Pursued by corporate mercenaries for unknown reason, Dex is helped out by a trio of hacktivists, with the developers saying, “Only you get to decide how the story ends.”
Featuring an open world, here’s the details on Dex:
- Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
- Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment…
- Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.
- Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and then return back to your body in a fraction of a real-time second to see the results – deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
- Neo-cyberpunk: Story deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors, flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
- Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, run-down shantytowns, and seedy red-light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and, of course, stay alive – no easy task.
- Full voice acting: Interactive dialogues using hand-drawn sprite animations, fully voice-acted by professional actors.
If Dex on PlayStation is anything like the PC version, expect it to cost $19.99 USD.