Mixing together third-person action and procedural dungeon-delving, Necropolis is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in summer 2016 for $29.99 USD, Bandai Namco and developer Harebrained Schemes announced today.
Necropolis was supposed to hit PC in mid-March, but Harebrained Schemes decided to delay it until summer to ensure the quality was consistent across all platforms. President Mitch Gitelman explained:
While we really hate to slip a release date, we know from experience that doing a console release right adds a significant amount of development work. So we believe this is absolutely the right decision, and that the additional time will make for an even better NECROPOLIS for consoles AND for PC.
Bandai Namco signed on to publish Necropolis for PS4 and Xbox One after seeing it at PAX East last year. According to Eric Hartness, VP of Marketing, the third-person action, roguelike dungeon-deliving, fast-paced yet diabolically hardcore gameplay, off-kilter humor, and unique visuals make “it the perfect companion game for Dark Souls fans and a great addition to our game portfolio.”
Complete with drop-in/drop-out co-op for up to four players, permanent death, and procedurally generated dungeons, here’s what Bandai Namco says about Necropolis:
In NECROPOLIS, you play as a nameless adventurer attempting to escape a living, magical dungeon that reconstructs itself each time you play, with only one way out – down. Craft, equip, explore, and fight to stay alive as you delve deeper and face ever-greater threats in the twisting halls and endless chasms of the NECROPOLIS. Have no doubt; you’re going to die – often! – but you’ll improve your combat skills, available upgrades, and dungeon know-how with every playthrough, bringing you one step closer to the exit. (Warning: “Just one more time” mindset can be addicting.)
IN NECROPOLIS, DEATH IS…
- …PERMANENT. Game Over? Jump right back in with a new adventurer and try again!
- …DIFFERENT EVERY TIME. A new procedurally generated dungeon with every death.
- …BETTER WITH FRIENDS. Drop-in / dropout co-op multiplayer for up to 4 players!
- …MONSTROUS. Gemeaters, Changelings, Hoardmen, and more – they exist to kill you.
- …NOT WITHOUT PERKS. Each new dungeon is littered with powerful weapons, armor, and upgrades to wield against your foes. (And there’s crafting, too!)
- …UNAVOIDABLE. But don’t worry; this NEXT playthrough is totally the one. We’ve got a good feeling about it.
Are you excited for Necropolis?