Despite previous comments suggesting that the post-launch DLC for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 wouldn’t be available on PlayStation 3, Activision announced today that Awakening is coming to PlayStation 3 on April 5 in North America and Europe for $14.99.
Already available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, Awakening (our review) includes four new multiplayer maps and the Der Eisendrache zombies content:
- Gauntlet – Grounded in a military training facility, Gauntlet plays up the core philosophy of Treyarch’s classic three lane map structure with distinct variety in visuals and gameplay. Each of the three primary lanes has a unique environment as players battle through a sprawling jungle, sub-zero artic zone and rainy urban cityscape.
- Splash – Set in an abandoned water theme park, this vibrant and playful map delivers an imaginative environment complete with waterslides, a wrecked pirate ship, , and a lazy river ride that winds through a fantastical forgotten city. Splash is designed to drive an open flow of combat, including plenty of opportunities for underwater gameplay.
- Rise – Set in the snowy outskirts of Zurich, Rise is a Coalescence Corporation construction project for a massive subterranean research campus. The design of the map caters to a mix of classic Call of Duty cover combat alongside strategic core movement opportunities, with each section of the map offering distinctly different styles of gameplay.
- Skyjacked – Set on a security VTOL in the clouds over urban Zurich, Skyjacked is a reimagined version of the popular Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 multiplayer map Hijacked, and retains the same fast and frenetic gameplay from one of the most popular maps in Call of Duty history, but with a twist. Skyjacked gives players the opportunity to explore the map in a variety of new ways thanks to the all-new core movement system in Black Ops 3.
- Der Eisendrache – The first chapter of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3’s Zombies DLC adventure will take players on an epic journey with the Origin characters Richtofen, Nicolai, Takeo, and Dempsey. Set in an eerie medieval castle built upon an ancient site of unspeakable horror, massive deposits of Element 115 have recently been discovered, delivering inspired new gameplay and – in Zombies tradition – a variety of exciting plot twists and surprises that fans will have the opportunity to discover for themselves.
Additionally, anyone who buys Awakening on PS3 will be given a static theme.
There was no word given on an Xbox 360 release for Awakening, and it remains to be seen if Black Ops 3 on PS3 will receive further post-launch DLC.