Publisher DotEmu has announced its collaboration with French developer Lizardcube to release a remake of the 1989 SEGA and Westone classic, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap. We’re told that the series creator, Ryuichi Nishizawa, is also on board.
The reveal trailer above comes with the following description:
Cursed into a half-human, half-lizard monstrosity by the Meka-Dragon, a lonesome adventurer is facing the challenge of a lifetime! In search for a cure, our mutated anti-hero will explore the many traps of Monster Land… and defeat many stuff-throwing, curse-wielding dragons.
How many more transformations can one hopeful body survive as it turns into a Lizard, a Mouse, a Piranha, a Lion, and a Hawk… The six different forms of our shape-shifting hero make up the cast of this non-stop action-adventure platformer!
Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap will include the following features:
- A huge interconnected world!
- 6 playable forms for our shape-shifting hero, with different abilities!
- Dragons of all kinds! A Zombie Dragon! A Mummy Dragon! A Samurai Dragon!
- An eye-patch wearing shop-keeper pig who may or may not provide a sense of warmth and direction!
- Beautiful, hand-drawn animated graphics!
- A memorable soundtrack, based on Shinichi Sakamoto’s originals, re-imagined and recorded with classical instruments!
- …and more to be announced!
A release window and specific platforms are yet to be announced.