Shadowgate, the classic point-and-click adventure game from the 80s, is coming to consoles in a reimagined way. Originally released on PC, this version of Shadowgate features a more console-friendly interface when it makes its debut sometime in fall 2018.
This will actually be the second time Shadowgate has appeared on the PlayStation 4. It was part of the 8-Bit Adventure Pack that released back in December 2017. That version, however, was just a port of the original.
The upcoming Shadowgate reimagining will feature:
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system, and intuitive UI to complete your quest.
- Dangerous Dungeons: Tons of beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new gameplay experience.
- Mind-bending Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
- Difficulty Levels: Four different difficulty levels (from the novice to expert) that actually change the gameplay experience and puzzle structure. For the ultimate challenge, try Ironman mode that disables saves and requires players to finish the game in one try.
- Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Toggle on to listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES chiptunes, move between rooms with pixelated transitions and follow the text in retro format.
- Storytelling: Shadowgate features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
- Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with gameplay by composer Rich Douglas.
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
- A variety of Achievements and Trophies to unlock
In Shadowgate, you are in control of “The Seed of Prophecy” and must venture into the Living Castle to defeat the evil Warlock Lord.
Shadowgate PS4 Announced, Coming in Fall 2018
If you want more point-and-click games on your PS4, be sure to check out our review of Detective Gallo. Shadowgate releases for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch in Fall 2018.