Here’s Some of the PS4 Titles That Restrict Share Play
As we learned this week with the launch of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, developers and publishers have the option of disabling the use of Share Play in their games. According to Activision, the reason they held back Share Play on Advanced Warfare is because their “engineers didn’t have access to it before it launched, so [they] haven’t had a chance to evaluate it to see how it will impact the experience across all modes of play.”
Unfortunately, Advanced Warfare isn’t the only game to restrict or disable Share Play, despite Sony saying it’s generally a “standard platform feature.” So, Eurogamer decided to compile a list of titles that don’t fully support Share Play, revealing that almost all Sony and EA games they tested worked, while only some Ubisoft, Activision, and Square Enix titles worked.
Meanwhile, after the release of firmware update 2.01, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is said to support Share Play, so it appears new games can become compatible at any point with Share Play.
When it comes to the games blocking Share Play, you’ll see one of these two messages if the game doesn’t support the feature:
Viewing the game screen that the host is currently playing is not allowed due to content restrictions in your country or region.
If the host starts a game that you can view, the game screen will be displayed.
The host’s game screen is not displayed because the current scene is a blocked scene for Share Play.
Wait until the blocked scene has finished.
An admittedly incomplete list, here’s all the titles currently known to block Share Play, as of November 7, along with which message Eurogamer received after testing the game in the UK:
- Another World – Country/Region Restriction
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – Blocked Scene
- Call of Duty: Ghosts – Country/Region Restriction
- Child of Light – Country/Region Restriction
- Fez – Blocked Scene
- Hotline Miami – Country/Region Restriction
- Metro Redux – Country/Region Restriction
- Minecraft: PS4 Edition – Blocked Scene (some people say it works after the initial scene)
- PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate – Country/Region Restriction
- Rayman Legends – Country/Region Restriction
- SteamWorld Dig – Country/Region Restriction
- Thief – Country/Region Restriction
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition – Country/Region Restriction
- Wolfenstein – Country/Region Restriction
Most other PS4 games should work, but if you’ve discovered any other titles that block Share Play, please let everyone know in the comments below.