It’s been a long, long time, but we can finally use the PlayStation Network again. Depending on where you live, and when you read this, certain features of the PSN may have returned, including online play.
Yes, that’s right, the PSN is getting back on its feet, and you will once again be able to kill your friends online. The return will be scheduled in different phases across the World, including across various US States.
The PlayStation Network won’t be fully back to its former glory though, with the Store still down until an unspecified date. The services currently returning include:
- Sign-in for PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, including the resetting of passwords.
- Restoration of online gameplay across PlayStation 3 and PSP.
- Playback rental video content, if within rental period, of PlayStation Store Video Store on PS3, PSP and Media Go.
- Q Music Unlimited, for current subscribers, on PS3 and PC.
- Access to third party services such as VidZone, MUBI, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and MLB.tv.
- ‘Friends’ category on PS3, including Friends List, Chat Functionality, Trophy Comparison, etc.
- PlayStation Home.
Kaz Hirai posted a video announcing the PSN’s restoration, as well as reiterating what steps Sony are taking to regain gamer’s confidence in the network on the PlayStation Blog:
Sony has also released a firmware update that will increase security by forcing you to change your password.
Is the PlayStation Network up where you are? Let us know in the comments below.