The Vita has rightfully stolen a lot of attention during the Tokyo Game Show, with an official announcement of 100 release titles on launch and even a tease about one of the most widely loved RPG’s on the PS2 making it’s way to the handheld world. Adding to the mix, Ubisoft chimed in with some fresh new screenshots and details for three of their expected titles, Lumines, Michael Jackson The Experience, and Rayman Origins.
Lumines will debut the first new entry in the series in 5 long, silent years, introducing the virgin Vita to the visually stunning world of music making. As the most notable hybrid of the puzzle and music genre, Lumines will hit the Vita with some brand new content and features. Four new game modes, a list of new mechanics and online networking content, and a savory musical line-up are expected in this all-new installment.
- New block mechanics: For the first time in the series, special new block mechanics give players additional strategic options. Clear huge block combos using the powerful Chain Block, and learn to master the randomizing powers of the Shuffle Block.
- Star-studded musical line-up: Featuring some of the best and brightest names in electronic music, Lumines‘s soundtrack is a diverse selection of known artists as well as original tracks composed by Q Entertainment’s sound team, providing the ultimate aural experience.
- All-new EXP system: Lumines rewards player effort and investment by providing an in-depth player profile, deep stat tracking, and a new Experience Points system that rewards every player’s play style with a level-based reward system. The more you play –whether in solo or versus play— the richer your Lumines experience will be.
- Social experience: How do you stack up against your friends? Whether you’re a new Lumines player or a veteran of the series, Lumines’ new social features will encourage you to play just “one more game.” Another level, another rank, or another reward is always within reach
New Game Modes:
- Journey mode: This mode allows players to experience the game’s carefully arranged flow and take a beautiful musical journey.
- Duel mode: Take on another Lumines player in a musical puzzle battle to the finish. Use the game’s all-new block mechanics to gain the upper hand!
- Stopwatch mode: Score as many points as you can as the clock ticks down in specially-designed stages created for maximum impact.
- Masters mode: A high-speed, high-velocity, tournament-level mode designed for the best of the best!
Michael Jackson The Experience is second up, proving once again that the King of Pop can return from beyond the pearly gates to deliver you some of his signature hip moves, even while you’re on the go. Players are invited to travel through 15 of Michael’s most legendary music films, and interact fluidly with them using the Vita’s unique touch screen. Some of the key features for the Vita title are listed below.
- Experience a more organic and natural way to play rhythm games. Draw series of shapes with your fingers according to the beat and the “choreographies” of the Michael Jackson avatar on the screen. Play the way you like best: use the front, the back or both NGP multi-touch pad screens at once. Chain up moves to progressively unlock spectacular special effects, and other animated background elements. During timed Freestyle moments, Players can even create their own choreographies for the King of Pop from a set of classic Michael Jackson moves.
- Rediscover environments from 15 of Michael Jackson’s classic music videos in superb HD graphics. Perform legendary choreographies in these faithfully recreated signature settings: the ghoul-infested graveyard from Thriller, the luxurious Palace of the Pharaoh from Remember the Time, the seedy underworld nightclub from Smooth Criminal, and many more. And when it’s time to take a break from the dancing, gorgeous cinematic cut-scenes retell these fantastic stories in eye-popping details and special effects.
- Dance your way to glory. Pull off flawless performances and beat multiple varied challenges. Climb ranks up to ultimately become a Legend. Unlock trophies and tons of cool collectibles and rewards including alternative outfits, power-up gloves to improve your scores, additional environmental effects, badges for bragging rights, and more. Compare your scores with others in song-based leaderboards.
- Have fun whether you are a very casual player, or a seasoned music game veteran. Three difficulty levels make the game accessible and enjoyable to everyone, with the hardest difficulty setting being truly addictive and challenging to master.
Ubisoft also debuted some new screens on the portable version. Check them out in the collection below.