The generation may not be over yet, with many games still set to come out for current generation consoles, but that didn’t stop Amazon UK from holding a poll to determine this generation’s greatest game. Between June 1st and August 4th, people voted on Amazon, with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim defeating The Last of Us (which was released two weeks into the initial voting stage) to take home the crown.
Here’s a quick look at the winners and losers from the top 16:
Amazon also posted some fun facts about the poll:
- Released on December 2nd, 2005, Call of Duty 2 is the oldest title to receive a vote.
- Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us each received more votes than all of the Xbox 360 exclusives combined.
- Super Mario Galaxy was the most popular console exclusive, ahead of Uncharted 2.
- Released in June, The Last of Us is not only the most recent game to receive a vote, but also the most popular game that isn’t part of a series.
- With just one more vote, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood would’ve made the final 16 tournament.
- The only western with a vote, Red Dead Redemption received more votes than beat ’em ups, football games and Call of Duty titles combined.
- Not living up to its name, Army of Two received just the one entry.
- Games that started out as downloadables, such as Limbo, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Bastion, all received votes, but Journey was the closest to crack the final 16.
- Votes also went for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Persona 4 Golden.
Personally, I think it’s a little premature to hold a vote for the greatest game this generation, but this is a good reminder of how many amazing games have been released on PS3/Xbox 360/Wii so far.
What is your greatest game this generation so far? Do you agree with the pick of Skyrim? Let us know in the comments below.