Ahead of the full September 2014 NPD report, PlayStation confirmed that the PlayStation 4 was the #1 best-selling console in the US during the month of September 2014, nearly tripling the sales of August 2014. Additionally, the PS4 led the new-gen sales charge on titles like Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, and FIFA 15.
In their press release following the announcement, Sony confirmed that Destiny’s launch helped the PlayStation Store achieve it’s best month in terms of revenue ever, rising almost 90% over September 2013.
They also released some interesting stats about Destiny:
- According to Activision, Destiny sold the most copies on PS4 worldwide, based on sell-through as of October 4, 2014
- After one month, there has been over 125 million hours of Destiny played on PS4
- Destiny is currently the most-played PS4 game, with total gameplay hours 5X higher than the second most-played title
- Destiny is #1 across pre-order sales, day one sales, week one sales, and month one sales on PlayStation Store
- Social sharing is hugely popular among Destiny players, with 450,000 hours of live gameplay broadcasted via the PS4 system’s SHARE functionality
- New PlayStation Plus memberships increased 115 percent from the week prior to Destiny’s launch
- The limited-edition Destiny PS4 bundle helped drive PS4 hardware sales to its biggest monthin 2014
Sony Entertainment Network Vice President Eric Lempel talked about the success of the PlayStation Store:
September 2014 was a record-breaking month for PlayStation’s digital business, thanks in large part to the success of Destiny. Last month’s PlayStation Store revenue increased nearly 90 percent compared with September 2013. Working closely with Activision and Bungie, we wanted to make the launch of Destiny a special experience for PlayStation fans. We’re thrilled to see this high engagement from PS4 and PS3 owners.
How happy are you that Michael Pachter was wrong?