After Magic 2015 didn’t come to PlayStation last year, Wizards of the Coast announced today that Magic Duels: Origins, the successor to the Duels of the Planeswalkers franchise, is set to release on PlayStation 4 later this year, following an original launch on Xbox One, PC, and iPad in July.
Including the new storyline featured in the upcoming Magic Origins set, Magic Duels: Origins will receive regular DLC that reflects the new sets. As well, you can expect Two-Headed Giant mode to return, “along with a true Free-to-Play experience [that] will delight both new and returning players.”
Lead Designer Drew Nolosco talked about Magic Duels: Origins:
This upcoming release is unlike anything we’ve ever done. Players will experience the origin stories of our five most iconic Planeswalkers through immersive gameplay. We’ve also listened to our players. Two-Headed Giant is back! Taking it a step further, everything is earnable, making the game truly free-to-play. Magic Duels is the perfect way to start your journey into the world’s best strategy game.
Here’s some of the features you can expect:
- Improved Deck Builder with step-by-step deck construction guidance
- First-ever playable Planeswalker cards
- Solo Battle mode featuring virtually endless AI opponents
- Expanded multiplayer options, including Two-Headed Giant mode
- Quest system with new individual and community challenges every week
- Limitless Free-to-Play with 100% earnable content
- All-new Skill Quest tutorial system
Are you glad to see the Magic franchise returning to PlayStation?