Along with the addition of Metal Gear Online on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360, today’s Metal Gear Solid V update also included “many new specifications,” largely focusing on Forward Operating Base (FOB) Missions.
Detailed on the MGS5 website, patch 1.04 features FOB insurance, allowing you to use MB Coins to protect your FOB:
Your FOBs are always at risk of coming under attack. Now, you can rest easy with FOB insurance (paid service). If you sign up for insurance, then during the insurance period you will be compensated for any materials and staff lost due to rival infiltrations.
Staff/materials stolen by the rival will in fact remain on your base, and an identical amount of staff/materials will be handed over to the rival instead.
Konami adds, “MB Coins are purchased with real money, but free MB Coins are also distributed periodically as login bonuses, etc.”
However, FOB insurance won’t cover nuclear weapons, wounded staff, staff used by you to deploy in defense of the FOB, or staff/items that are not fully your property, such as abducted staff being held in your Brig.
According to a NeoGaf user able to connect online, FOB insurance costs 50 Coins for one day, 100 Coins for three days, 200 Coins for seven days, and 300 Coins for 14 days, with a free 3-day trial also available. Putting that in perspective, you can buy 100 MB Coins for $0.99 or 550 MB Coins for $4.99.
Here’s everything else Konami included in today’s Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain update:
New “Event FOB” missions added!
- Until now, only the FOBs of rival players could be infiltrated, but following this update you will have access to special “Event FOBs” prepared by the game developers.
- In “Event FOB” missions, there is no risk of retaliation (no defending player will invade your base later as revenge), so you can steal materials and abduct staff without fear of repercussions.
New and improved missions for Combat Deployment (Online)! Rewards also get a huge boost!
- Get ready for a broader, more varied range of missions available in Combat Deployment (Online). The rewards will diversify to match! Some missions may reward you with extremely high-rank soldiers, and others may provide rare medicinal plants such as Haoma and Digitalis (Lutea).
- Additionally, the time it takes your units complete their mission can be shortened using MB Coins.
- Note: Deployment time can only be shortened in Combat Deployment (Online) missions. Normal offline missions cannot be shortened.
New equipment added! A higher level of performance… Grade 7!
- New weapons and items are on the way, to give you that added edge in missions. Additionally, where the highest possible grade of equipment was previously Grade 6 (★6), following the update you will have access to development projects of Grade 7 (★7)!
- Some of the new weapons include S1000 AIR-S[★7], HAIL MGR-4[★7], and AM MRS-71 RIFLE[★7]
Night vision equipment can now be developed for your Security Team staff!
- You will now be able to develop special NVGs for your security guards, to give them an advantage against night-time invaders and vision-restricting tactics such as smoke grenades. Don’t miss this opportunity to maximize the abilities of your Security Team.
Infiltrate without leaving a trace!
- If you avoid being spotted by enemies, and refrain from killing/extracting staff and damaging/extracting containers and equipment, you can now play all the way through an FOB infiltration without the rival player being notified.
FOB expansion time reduction now available!
- Constructing new platforms for your FOBs takes a long time, but now you can use MB Coins (paid service) to purchase time reduction and speed things up!
- The more platforms on your FOB, the more difficult it will be for a rival to infiltrate unseen.
Improvements to on-screen UI elements and point scoring!
- Following the update, there will be certain improvements to the way data is displayed on menus such as the Controls and Results screens; for example, detailed breakdowns of espionage points earned or damage suffered due to your FOB being infiltrated. Look forward to a tighter, more refined FOB Mission experience.
GMP and materials limits are greatly increased online!
- Following this update, the maximum amounts of GMP and materials you can possess will be much higher than before, as additional amounts can now be stored online by the server.
- Note: You will need to be online to make use of GMP or materials amounts that exceed the local limit (the limit when playing offline).
- Note: While offline, you will not be able to make use of GMP or materials stored on the server.
- Improvements have also been made to other elements, including PF Rating, which indicates the strength of your Mother Base, and sort functions on the mission deployment prep screen.
- Also, for auto-assigning staff to units, an option for prioritizing the Security Team has been added, to make FOB Missions even easier to enjoy. Various balance adjustments and bug fixes have been implemented as well.
You can keep track of MGSV’s server status over here.