Successfully Kickstarted in 2012, and already available on PC/mobile, Saturday Morning RPG from developer Might Rabbit is coming digitally to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita on January 26 in North America, complete with cross-buy.
As for a European digital release, Mighty Rabbit said, “We just got set up with SCEE, European release will probably be late [February] at earliest. Definitely on the way!”
There will also be a physical version of Saturday Morning RPG available on PS4 and PS Vita through Limited Run Games. The different editions go on sale at 7am PT/10am ET and 3pm PT/6pm ET on January 29 for $24.99 – $39.99, and there will be a limited amount of copies.
Saturday Morning RPG is described as an episodic JRPG set in a world heavily inspired by 1980s Saturday morning cartoons and pop culture. You play as Martin “Marty” Michael Hall, an ordinary high-school student given an incredible power that attracts the evil Commander Hood.
On Steam, Mighty Rabbit explains the episodic format and more:
- Episodic Gameplay – The story and gameplay of Saturday Morning RPG takes place across several episodes, each of which tells a complete self-contained story. Players can play any episode in any order, at any time! All of your stats and items carry between episodes. It’s a unique spin on the tried and true New Game Plus mode. On top of that, small decisions made in some episodes will carry forth into others – adding a layer of replay to each episode. Four episodes are currently included, with a fifth coming later in a free update!
- Active Turn-Based Combat – Saturday Morning RPG draws quite a bit of inspiration from games like Nintendo’s Paper Mario series. Battles in the game are turn-based, but the player is always participating by actively defending against attacks and completing reflex tests to power up their own assaults.
- Defeat Enemies With Regular Stuff – Marty fights all his battles in the game by channeling magic through everyday objects. Use a pack of striped gum to summon rainbow zebras that trample your foes – or call upon a transforming action figure to morph you into a semi-truck!
- Nostalgia Fueled Everything – Everything in Saturday Morning RPG centers on nostalgia. Marty receives his magical abilities thanks to a certain kind of garish plastic notebook, he can equip scratch ‘n sniff stickers to get statistical boosts, and he’ll traverse worlds inspired by the entire gamut of Saturday morning cartoons.
- Endless Battle Mode – Take on wave after wave of enemies in an endless survival mode where resource management becomes everything!
As for another game from Mighty Rabbit, Breach and Clear on PS Vita may get a European release. “We’re going to try and get the publishing rights for it from our NA publisher – if we succeed, it should come out soon,” they said.