From April 8 – 18, the Battleborn open beta will be available on PlayStation 4, with Xbox One and PC gamers getting access from April 13 – 18, Gearbox and 2K announced today.
Detailing the open beta on PS4, 2K revealed that a PlayStation Plus membership isn’t required, it will be available worldwide, there’s no NDA (meaning you can stream and record video), and progress won’t carry over to the main game when it launches on May 3.
Here’s all of the other important information for the Battleborn open beta on PS4:
- Opens on April 8 at 10am PT/1pm ET
- Ends on April 18 at 7am PT/10am ET
- As a thank you to PS4 players who participate in the Open Beta, they will receive the first Battleborn DLC Pack 1 and instant access to Alani upon release. In addition, PS4 players will have access to the Battleborn hero, Toby, during the Open Beta.
- Pre-load begins on April 6 at 5pm PT/8pm ET
Approximate Download Size
Where to Download
- The Battleborn Open beta will be available directly through PlayStation Store (it won’t be available until April 6). You just download it straight from the store — no sign-up or code required.
During the open beta, “you’ll be able to experience the natural progression of Battleborn,” which includes two Story Mode episodes, two Competitive Multiplayer Modes, 25 heroes (seven are unlocked immediately), and three different progression system.
Here’s the story and multiplayer content available in the open beta:
Go in solo or co-op with up to 5 players in two full Story Mode episodes: The Algorithm and Void’s Edge.
- The Algorithm: Take on The Algorithm mission to debug and unlock the rogue Magnus AI, ISIC. If you played in the Closed Technical Test last year, you’ll notice Geoff, the Spider King, has made a few changes to his lair.
- Void’s Edge: Bring a jacket, ’cause the ice planet Bliss is mighty cold. A Varelsi portal has opened and it’s up to you to fight your way through the invasion and deliver the payload.
Competitive Multiplayer Modes
Challenge other players to duke it out in two Competitive Multiplayer modes: Incursion and Meltdown.
- Incursion: (Overgrowth map) Destroy the enemy’s two Spider Sentry Drones before they get to yours.
- Meltdown: (Paradise map) Send waves of minions to their death and score points for every minion who throws themselves into the incinerator. The team with the most scrap metal wins!
As for the full Story Mode, it takes a TV-style approach where you and your friends, as the commander of the Battleborn, are the stars of every episode. There’s eight episodes included in the game, as well as a prologue, and “each episode tells a self-contained story about your heroes’ fight to save the last star, Solus.”
Will you be participating in the open beta?