The first major update, dubbed the Foundation Update, for No Man’s Sky is available now. Those that download the patch will be able to play a very different No Man’s Sky than what launched, as the update brings with it several key features. These include base building, farming, a UI overhaul, and three game modes.
Since the base building seems to be the main focus of the update, here’s how the official site explains the basics:
- Claim your home planet by finding an uninhabited base and creating your own, fully bespoke outpost.
- Construct your homestead for shelter, using modular structures and decorations, replicated from resources gathered while exploring
- Recruit alien lifeforms to help research new technology. Farming, engineer, weapons and science specialists are hirable from Space Stations
- Use Terminus Teleporters in Space Stations to teleport to and from your base at will
- Expand your base with storage containers to stockpile precious resources and rare products
- Find an even more beautiful location and you can simply dismantle your previous homestead to refund all of the spent resources
The site goes into further detail, so check it out if you want to know more before diving in. It also explains that the game now has three main modes. Normal mode is how the game launched and is described as a “chilled exploration experience.” The two new modes are Creative and Survival. The former “allows players to explore the universe without limits, and build a huge base,” while the latter creates a “challenging endurance experience.”
Here’s what Hello Games’ founder Sean Murray had to say on Twitter about update 1.1:
We’re getting better as quickly as we can for the players who invested in us. Thank you for sticking with us. We hope you enjoy this first proper update. We didn’t want to talk about anything in it until it was 100% certain. If you could have lived our lives over the last months, you’d know how meaningful this is.
It’s definitely a great first step as far as post-launch content goes. Base building adds a whole new dimension to the game, and as the site says, it’s only the “first of many free updates.” Are you excited to get back into No Man’s Sky and check out one of its three modes? Let us know in the comments below.
(Source: Hello Games)